Saturday, January 22, 2011

When Do You Write?

I have to plead guilty to a terrible defect when it comes to writing. I take care of all my other chores and answer all of my e-mail and write blog posts before I get to working on my current book. It is very inefficient with regard to my books but tremendously efficient for all of my other work. I think this deficiency has to be due to the fact that I am easily distracted. Once I start working on the book manuscript, I don't want to be distracted by other obligations. I take the easy way out by completing the other obligations before I do the work that I most want to do. Some writers manage to allocate a certain period of time each day for writing on their primary project. I would like to do that, but I fear that I would have to cancel most of my other obligations and become a hermit to succeed at it. I do have the consolation that while I am doing other things, I get ideas for the next phase of my book project, so that when I do sit down to work on the book I can jump right into it. I have to conclude that this jumping from job to job and clearing out the background noise projects before launching into my main writing work is my personal style. Each of us has to develop a schedule for writing with which he/she can be comfortable. Mine is a random walk through all of my jobs. I just have to continue to improve my efficiency at it. Maybe your routine is more rational, or perhaps it is even more quirky. Either way, enjoy your writing. I find that no other task is as satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment